UW Medicine at Valley Medical Center
Civil Engineering, Landscape Architecture, Commercial | 168,635 sq. ft. | 1.1 acres
The new UW Medicine Medical Office building at Valley Medical Center provides visitors with local support and coordinated care without having to travel into the city of Seattle. Two floors of the building will be dedicated to a Cancer Center, offering innovative cancer care at a central location. The goal of the Cancer Center is to provide services that will help guide patients and their families through the treatment process under one roof.
Barghausen partnered with NBBJ to complete the 168,635-square foot medical office building. Because the development was an addition to the Valley Medical Center, it was essential to ensure construction did not interrupt other functions of the campus. Throughout the process we coordinated with various stakeholders, the City of Renton and Valley Medical Center to keep the other medical facilities functional during construction. Along with the campus improvements, our team relocated an on-site access road, designed updated ADA improvements along the frontage of the campus, and added signalization to the main entrance of the Medical Center. Stormwater design was another significant part of the 1.1 acre redevelopment with two on-site detention vaults for roof and site stormwater, as well as water quality.
- Tying in the overall building design into the existing infrastructure and maintaining the use of the campus during construction.
- Sidewalks and crosswalks were incorporated into the design to promote connectivity throughout the campus.
- There was a significant grade change across the site within a limited space.
- To effectively accomplish stormwater improvements, our team designed a split detention system to fit both vaults on the relatively small site area.
- The ADA improvements were particularly challenging due to very steep grades of the existing roadway.
- The development included the construction of an underground tunnel connecting to the adjacent building, and a skybridge to allow patients easy access to the parking garage next door.
Since 1982, Barghausen has provided high quality civil engineering, architecture, and land surveying services to residential and commercial clients nationwide.
From civil engineering to fueling system design and more, Barghausen is a one-stop shop for not only sound project design, but also effective and hands-on project management - every step of the way.
Barghausen was founded with a deep commitment to customer service, expert engineering, and effective site planning. That’s why clients like NBBJ trust Barghausen with even the highest demand projects for over 30 years.